Latest In

Breaking News

Miami Herald: Budget cuts to greatly affect Miami-Dade after-school programs

The Miami Herald is reporting that as many as 4,500 students in Miami-Dade may not be returning to state-subsidized after-school programs due to state and federal budget cuts. # The Herald reports : # This year, Miami-Dade County lost more than $13 million in funding for its before- and after-school care programs

Jul 31, 2020
25.3K Shares
1M Views
The Miami Heraldis reporting that as many as 4,500 students in Miami-Dade may not be returning to state-subsidized after-school programs due to state and federal budget cuts. #
The Heraldreports: #
This year, Miami-Dade County lost more than $13 million in funding for its before- and after-school care programs. As a result, 7- and 8-year-old children are no longer eligible for some state-subsidized programs. #
Six-year-olds may also be forced out, said Evelio Torres, president and CEO of the Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade and Monroe counties. #
“A lot of these children will end up staying home alone or with an older sibling or neighbor,” Torres said. “This is a tremendous problem for our community.” #
#
In Miami-Dade and Monroe, families who are affected were notified by the Early Learning Coalition. They can apply to other after-school programs funded by the The Children’s Trust or the school district. But many of those programs also have less money this year. #
“The options are becoming more and more diminished,” said Modesto Abety, CEO and president of The Children’s Trust. #
Abety said after-school programs help young children perform better in school and keep them from falling victim to drugs and violence. #
“This is a safety issue,” he said. “This is a life and death issue.” #
Florida’s Department of Health is currently trying to recoup federal fundsthat would have gone to some of the state’s early learning programs — specifically, home visiting grants. The state Legislature rejectedmillions of dollars in federal funds because the state is currently in litigation against the law that allocated the grants to Florida. #
However, the state Legislature did acceptfunds from the law for abstinence education programs. #
There are also fears that because the state did not accept the awarded money from the federal government, Florida might also be in jeopardyof losing millions more from the federal government for early learning in Florida through the Race to the Top program. #
According to the Herald, Miami-Dade School Board member Renier Diaz de la Portilla asked the board earlier this month “to convene a group of child advocacy experts to find money for the after-school programs.” #
Dexter Cooke

Dexter Cooke

Reviewer
Dexter Cooke is an economist, marketing strategist, and orthopedic surgeon with over 20 years of experience crafting compelling narratives that resonate worldwide. He holds a Journalism degree from Columbia University, an Economics background from Yale University, and a medical degree with a postdoctoral fellowship in orthopedic medicine from the Medical University of South Carolina. Dexter’s insights into media, economics, and marketing shine through his prolific contributions to respected publications and advisory roles for influential organizations. As an orthopedic surgeon specializing in minimally invasive knee replacement surgery and laparoscopic procedures, Dexter prioritizes patient care above all. Outside his professional pursuits, Dexter enjoys collecting vintage watches, studying ancient civilizations, learning about astronomy, and participating in charity runs.
Latest Articles
Popular Articles